Skip to content

February 18, 2012
It’s hard to believe, but I am off to begin Chapter 3 – Mel goes Far East – tomorrow.  I am so excited to see Thailand and feel so lucky that Cheryl has graciously agreed to put up this weary traveller in her home.
So let’s wrap up NZ.  As some of you astute readers will have gathered, I didn’t LOVE it here.  Lots of reasons for that, but you can probably tell that when I love a place I take heaps of photos and blog lots – and the reverse is also true.
However I am grateful to NZ because she taught me some key lessons  about what kind of traveller I am and what kind of traveller I am not.
NZ – Wrap Sheet:
  • Mascara costs $20.  Even in the cheapest drugstore.  Weird.
  • Restaurants and cafes are very stingy with napkins.  It is so odd.  One tiny napkin for even the sloppiest kebab.  Can you spare a square?
  • Pies!  The kiwis love their pies and they should be a source of national pride.  These savoury pies are filled with all kinds of wonderful things like curry and stew and venison and bacon.  If you cholesteral is a bit low, you should come here.
  • The haka is about the coolest thing ever. Spend a minute and a half.  Check it out. I think I may adapt this method to enhance corporate communications when I return!
  • I love the adventure spirit of NZ and in particular, the South Island.  I spent so much time watching people bungy and paraglide.  NZ is the place in the world to entertain all of those death defying fantasies for sure!

Cinema Paridiso

This picture is taken in a movie theatre in Wanaka.  There are no real seats, just couches and old cars to sit in.  Lovely food, homemade ice cream, local wine – about the perfect place to see a movie.  Reminds me of that place in Hamilton we used to go – but the name escapes me!
Finally, and maybe a bit out of logical order, I must tell you about the horrendous hostel I stayed in the other night in Queenstown.  Fellow Mac alumni; I stayed in Matthews Hall.  It was super dirty and dodgy.  A total party scene.  At midnight there was a full fledged party in the hallway.  My room had no window – it was a cave – but it had a private bathroom and free towels and a tiny TV so I was in HEAVEN.
Oh how the mighty have fallen……
7 Comments leave one →
  1. Tina North permalink
    February 18, 2012 9:04 pm

VERY interesting. You have fallen to such a wonderful depth, so awesome, I love it and need some of that!
    Will write lots tomorrow; in the meantime, travel well and safely, a new adventure awaits.

2. Cheryl Regi permalink
    February 19, 2012 2:49 am

Rushing out to buy napkins:)

3. Andrea Muzzi permalink
    February 20, 2012 1:06 pm

This is what it’s all about, isn’t it?? Learning about yourself, your limits and your endless possibiities? (if you loved every place you visited, it would make for dull reading for those of us back home! Not to mention, intensifying my travel envy!) I think that you will love more than you “don’t love” ’cause that’s the kind of person you are!!
    Keep it coming! Can’t wait to hear your impressions and experiences in the far east!!!
    Loves ya!

4. Lianne permalink
    February 21, 2012 6:48 am

But you didn’t bungy??? I would love THAT photo! My parents loved NZ…sorry your adventure their didn’t have as good memories…loved your wrap-up though!

5. Michelle permalink
    February 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey Mel, just caught up on your blog! Wow!!

6. February 27, 2012 8:23 am

So your off aagain and NZ it sounds like you were luke warm about. I do know you can do great travelling by car there and most of the hotel/motel accodations have kitchens for cooking or so my friend tells me. Just catching up on you posts, I am sure you will love Thailand and to stay in a real home will be luxury.